Thursday, May 22, 2014

Birthday Party Hat DIY

*sigh*, my baby is turning 1 in a week. It's crazy how time flies...
I decided to make her own special birthday hat. Here are the materials and directions!

Materials:
  • cardboard from a cereal box
  • fabric glue or hot glue gun
  • a piece of fabric (1 foot piece)
  • felt in your choice of color (this will be the number, if you plan on having one on the hat)
  • 1 fluffy pom pom
  • ribbon in your choice of color - 3/8 inch
  • elastic ribbon (round cord or 1/4 inch width would be fine) 

Cut one side of the cereal box and roll it to that the top is as small as you can get it, and the bottom is the biggest. Make sure the outside is the cardboard color, and not the printed side. Glue the sides together. The bottom will now look uneven and you'll have to trim it.




 Start gluing your fabric onto the hat. Let it sit for 15-30 mins to dry. In the meantime you can cut out your number on your felt. 

With your felt, either with a pen or marker, draw your number. If you don't want your pen or marker to be seen, either make the number bigger so you can cut inside of the line, or draw it backwards. I decided not to put a number on her hat. 
Glue your number onto the hat. 

Cut out and measure ribbon for the bottom. This will be the trim and make it a little more put together. Glue onto the bottom. Now, glue the pom pom onto the top of the hat. I decided to roll up some of my leftover trim and make it as my "pom pom".


Glue your elastic onto the hat. I cut a very long piece, glued it to one side, and then quickly put it on Claire and adjusted my finger to where I needed to cut.

Finished product on Miss Claire! 



I hope you enjoyed my craft! Lots more DIY's coming up in the next few weeks. Stay tuned!

Rachel Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment