Monday, May 19, 2014

How to De-Clutter Your Home

Well, we start moving into our new apartment this Friday. The last 2 weeks I have been going through EVERYTHING. Even though we'll be in a bigger apartment, I'm still "downsizing" our items. I know it can be hard to get rid of things- especially if they're sentimental or things you'll use...eventually.

I'm not telling you to throw away everything. Just go sort through things, and get rid of the "crap". It'll free up some space and lets face it, make your house look nicer.

1. Start in one room, or one area. 

2. Sort out the junk.
Ask yourself, "Is there anything here that I don't need that I can sell or donate?", "Have I used this item in the last 6-12 months?". Your first reaction might be, "Well, I really like these items, and I want to keep it." When your done sorting, and have a pile of items that your not sure about, try to get rid of half. Lets pick an item, for all intensive purposes, lets say that the item is a shirt you've had for a while. It's been sitting in your closet, untouched for almost a year because it doesn't fit you anymore. It's time to get rid of it. If your unsure about the item, give it a 30 day rule. If you don't use it in 30 days- get rid of it! Make sure you keep track of it in the meantime.

Same items: If you have a few of the same item, keep the better one, and throw out the others. My daughter got a baby tablet for Christmas, when she also had another tablet at home. The one at home was used, and was given to me, so shortly after Christmas I donated the older one.


If your serious about decluttering, you need to justify your reasoning for getting rid of those items. After you've come to that conclusion, either donate, throw out or sell.

3. Donate- Places like The Salvation Army or Goodwill is always taking items. If they're bulkier items- like a couch, you'll have to call them and see if they'll take it. We tried donating an entertainment center last year, and The Salvation Army wouldn't accept it! We ended up posting it on Craigslist for free, and a few days later someone took it.

Toss- No one wants a shirt with a huge hole in it, get rid of it!

Sell- My local FB yardsale page is the best thing that's been discovered. I suggest if you want to sell things quickly, this is the best place. You'd be surprised how many items people sell and buy on here. Consignment shops are a good place too.

Other sites:
  • Craigslist -good for furniture and bigger items
  • Threadflip -good for brand named women's items, like Coach and Louboutin
  • ThredUp - a site that sells you and your child's gently used clothing

I saw a couple of my friends do this a month or so ago. I didn't follow it by the book, but it's a good technique to start your de-cluttering.
http://www.whitehouseblackshutters.com/40-bags-in-40-days-2014/

I hope these tips help a few of you! And if you have a question about anything involving decluttering, please ask in the comments section!

Rachel Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment